On 16/06/2019 4:21 PM, Meade Dillon via Mercedes wrote:
We have a local independent parts store, Parks, and I've used their
lifetime replacement option on a starter and an alternator.

The first "lifetime" starter I took in, they did not have a record and I
did not have the receipt, but the starter still had the part number sticker
/ manufacturer which indicated it was a lifetime part.  However, I am a
frequent enough customer that I have an account, so they made a little fuss
and then issued a new receipt.  Now I scan in each receipt and also put the
original in a file for each car.
Max
Charleston SC

I don't think the FLAPS provide any warranty. The manufacturer provides the warranty. The biggest issue for the store, I would guess, is the paperwork to deal with the customer and then the parts supplier. In my experience, most stores are pretty good. I had issues with starters for a Nissan Maxima and they gave me several in a row. It turned out it was not the fault of the manufacturer as there was a relay on the vehicle that was causing the starter not to disengage. After several starters, I asked for a different brand, suspecting that there was a bad batch of starters on their shelves. The new one of a different brand came with a printed page inside telling me that if there was an issue such as I was experiencing, I should look for a problem with the relay. That was very helpful and I do hope the other manufacturer has figured that  out too and included a similar message. I had to go to the dealer for the relay and the parts guys there told me that they had never heard of such a problem. They did not stock the relay and it had to be ordered in so maybe it was an unusual thing or the car was just old enough to start causing that problem.