I found an 82 240D automatic nearby with 211K miles.  Has working a/c and good
paint and interior.  No rust.  Everything works.  But, I was looking up the
specs on it.  These cars have 67 HP  (yes that is right, 67 horsepower).  Top
Speed 86 mph (this is a factory claim.  I couldn't find anyone that actually
tested or confirmed this).  Here is the really scary part.  0-75 mph takes 45
seconds!

AND to get from 40 mph up to 75 takes 23 seconds.  So, lets say you have a long
entrance ramp on a highway and you can get it up to 40 mph.  It will then take
another 23 seconds to get up to 75 mph.   Those numbers seem really slow -
maybe that is a little off.  But, this is one indication.  Guess what the speed
is for the quarter mile for this car?   60 MILES AN HOUR.   So, it takes a
quarter mile to get to 60!   I'm not sure that is safe to be on the highway!

These numbers sound like it could be dangerous trying to drive on a highway
considering 70-80 mph is pretty much regular traffic flow.  Are these really
this bad?  Anyone have one of these and tried to drive it at highway speeds
recently?

Donald H. Snook
1982 300D (Award Winner!)
2017 Toyota 4Runner