I rented one of those stupid pony cars in 1991 with a v8. (because it was the only thing available that day.)  I could not get either a small toolbox or a 4 cyl diesel head in the trunk. (OM 615/616)  I believe a 115 or 123 NA 300D could have run circles about it.  It was awful.  That or frod probe were the worst rental cars I ever had.   The shovey HHR was a close runner up as a POS.

Toolbox and head ended up in the tiny back seat.  It was worse (smaller) than a 107 back seat.