At $0.34/KwH it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to use the grid if you could avoid
it. Unfortunately, most of the electricity in AK is generated with diesel,
making it really, really expensive. Add to that the cost of the infrastructure
and you can see why power is easily 4x what it costs in the lower 48.

As a former generator guy, I can tell you that someone with my former skill set
could make a very, very good living in AK, and I knew a number of people who
did. Nearly every one of the indigenous people’s villages are powered with
diesel.

-D