Back around 1970, J I Case had a proving ground near their backhoe and bulldozer plant at Burlington.  One of the guys who worked there drove a 220Sb.  The employees would have offroad races around the place.  Think motocross in a car.    The 220Sb won almost all the time, according to what he told me.   220Sb won the Argentine grand prix, (which is pretty much offroad) in the 60s.

My 190Dc was far better on crappy pothole/washboard tracks than any merkun car or truck.

If he could fix it himself, a ML is probably as good a choice as any. But if someone else has to work on it, then you are on the right track, Dan