It's like anything else. Appliances come to mind. Things that were once
considered "durable goods" are now considered to be consumables. You buy
them (probably on credit), use them until they break (probably shortly
after the financing is paid off), then repeat.

When a consumer is willing to replace an item instead repair it, guess
what manufacturers will build for?

Allan