I really like the current GM Small Gas Engine. (1.4L in 2016+ Cruze, 1.5L in
2016+ Malibu, and some 3 cyl variants that I don't think are sold here) Light,
efficient, and the turbo versions are over 100hp/liter.

If I were to do some drivetrain swaps, I'd do OM602 turbo in 2.3-16 chassis or
I'd get a 1989-1994 Metro and stick the front subframe/suspension/drivetrain
from a Cruze/Malibu in the back of it.
I'd like a fun car, under 2000lb and without power steering.
Mitch.