Ah, sounds very familiar. I spliced the diff end of the MG drive shaft onto
the GM shaft to connect the tranny to the MG rear end. I did swap out the
MGA 4.30:1 diff for an MGB 3.90:1 diff for a higher top end. Welded up the
exhaust from the heads to the tail pipe, etc. No room for the starter
solenoid without cutting the frame, so I built a lever mechanism to engage
the starter, and a push button to spin it. Lots of other hacks that I don't
remember right now - took a year to complete (working and going to school).
The MG u-joint at the diff was the weak link in the system. I think I
replaced it a good half dozen times. Also went through several water pumps
- they couldn't take the rapid change in RPM ---

--
OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

for themselves."