Yes, but you’ve got a fair amount of land, too, don’t you? That has to be in
your favor.

Around here land is in short supply. One of the things the County is promoting
is “suburban infill” which is a fancy term for subdividing small plots of land
(10 acres, for example) that exist here and there and building 20 homes on it.
It’s the bane of the surrounding property owners, as it often messes with their
existing zoning. For example, just to the east of my old house is an area of 1
acre tracts that’s been there since the 1950s. It’s populated with homes from
that time period along with any number of trailers and manufactured housing.
It’s zoned RU-1, which is rural/residential with lots no smaller than 1/2 acre.
There’s a 15 acre plot in the middle of their area that’s being sold to a
developer who wants to get it rezoned to put (originally) 30+ homes on it. The
locals have banded together and taken on the zoning commission and run the
developer off - twice. He’s back again with it pared down to 20 homes, which is
still a higher density than the existing zoning allows.

He’s already pussed out once on the latest hearing, asking for a continuance
and trying to wait out the locals, but they’ll continue to challenge him as
they’re well organized and pissed. I’ve lent them some support myself as an
adjacent landowner and spoken to and written the County Commissioners, the one
representing our area just happening to have been my former customer at the
school district.

County government does work around here, and if you’re well organized and
represented you’ve got a good chance of prevailing. This developer is not ready
to give up, but he’s seeing his plans get pared down bit by bit to the point
where it may not be profitable to pursue this much longer.

-D