> On December 30, 2019 at 4:48 PM Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> So what's wrong with installing a properly designed solar hot water heater?
> Isn't the plumbing infrastructure already in place?

Back around 1980, I saw plans in Popular Science for a very cheap solar heater.
It was, IIRC, a 100' coil of black poly pipe mounted to a black painted marine
plywood box and affixed on the roof.
The same black poly pipe that transports potable water from my well to my
house.
It was to be plumbed between the water supply and the water heater to preheat
the input to the heater.
No need to drain it and bypass it for the winter in Pinellas.
And it sounds like Dan's already got the plumbing loop to the roof.