I remembered a lot of the details wrong with the orange silicone guy.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2014/06/toledo-lincoln-county-oregon.html

It was the fuel flow transducer, not the carburetor, that he plugged with a
loose lump of silicone.
He was in radio contact with nobody. He was about ten years younger than I
remembered.
Surviving passenger reports that he was turning AND trying to raise the nose,
probably to line up for forced landing on a dirt access road when he decided he
wouldn't make the airport.
The basis for the lawsuit was plaintiffs' claim that experimental airplane kits
are unjustly exploiting a loophole in FAA regs and should not exist. Pretty
stupid, but civil juries have handed out huge awards based on stupider
theories.

But the main idea is still that
1. he plugged his fuel system with stupidity.
2. He probably could have landed safely, or at least without serious personal
injury, if he'd kept his nose down and his airspeed up.