Did you look online for information on the make and model? With ours, it was easy to find out how to open the top. On it, there are 2 clips on the front between the top and the front panel. Pushing in with a putty knife releases the clips and then one can pivot the top upwards out of the way and access screws that hold the front panel onto the side panels. Remove one screw on each side at the top and the front panel then tilts out and can be removed. That opens up the washer to the point where most of it is accessible.

I had an old friend, who has since passed on at the age of 93, who was quite proud of the fact that they were still using a dryer that they had purchased in the 40's. He had replaced bits of it a number of times and retrofitted newer parts to take the place of items no longer available. It had become a challenge for him to keep it going as long as he could. I believe it outlived him.

One of the concerns with longevity of our washer is that it is rusting in the bottom. I was not going to mess around with paint so I sprayed Boeshield B9 (I think that is the name of the stuff) on the rusty spots in the bottom in an effort to slow down the rusting. I have used it on things in the garage and it seems to work well. That is good as the stuff is expensive.

RB