Peter - remember the old adage about lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Specifically in the case of an epidemic, calculating the death rate is
impossible, because you cannot determine the true number of people who get
infected but never get tested because the symptoms are mild or
non-existent.

Death rate:  Number of people dying divided by number of people infected.
You need both numbers.  Number that died is relatively easy.  Number that
were infected, that is impossible to know with certainty.

The observed death rate, especially at the start, will be much higher
because of this bias (all the deaths are counted, but many of the infected
that are not too sick are never counted).  Harder still when there is not
any way to test for the virus!

It is far easier, and much more comforting, to just look at the total
number that have died, and put than number in perspective.  Normal seasonal
flu is killing FAR MORE PEOPLE!  Over 16,000 in the USA alone have died
from seasonal flu, we are still under 100 that have died from the Wuhan
virus.

If you are in the population at risk, older than 70 or 80, or have an
underlying health condition (see the CDC website) or you are a heavy
smoker, then you should be taking all the precautions and staying in
isolation as much as possible.
Max
Charleston SC