> The point of virtualization is to fully utilize hardware.

ONE point of virtualization is to fully utilize hardware.  That's not what I'm
using it for, though.
I'm _simulating_ what would be independent boxes in production within my
development environment.
I don't care much about the performance, just the functionality.

The trash (Parmesan?) cans have not (yet) been abandoned by any software, and
all of them are fully
capable of running any (new-end) software on the market.  This includes VMware.
 The cheese
graters have all been abandoned by Catalina (except for the brand-new reissue,
of course.)
Most are also abandoned by Mojave, and the ones that aren't need a video card
upgrade.

High Sierra runs everything I need, and probably will for years.  I am not too
interested in Metal/Mojave,
and I particularly don't like 'dark mode', which to me is a throwback to the
wretched video of the 70's.
With High Sierra and 5,1 CPU's I can still run DxO and VMware 10/11, and
everything else I need,
and continue to run older purchased 32-bit apps (like CS3 and Photoshop).

At such time as it might become necessary I'd similarly upgrade my wife's 2,1
(El Capitan); her main tool is
Adobe InDesign CS3, which will NOT run on Catalina (for example).  If you want
to do high-end graphics
on a new-ish Mac, you MUST use their foul subscription ransomware, and pay each
and every year
whether you are doing much work or not.  Profitable work or not.  (Hers is
non-profit.)  You MUST buy
new computers on THEIR schedule, and pay any and all necessary costs just to
continue to use the
product.  You working on a deadline and they announce a new version, abandoning
the one you are
using?  Fuck you customer, buy new software, and if necessary also a new
machine, before you can
continue working.  You were hoping to be finished by Friday, maybe making a few
hundred dollars
on the job?  Bwa-ha-ha-ha!  This makes me livid.

My wife was doing volunteer graphics work for her local symphony, on her
now-dated high-end Mac
hardware.  The symphony management decided to 'standardize' on new Adobe, and
offered to let
her use their license.  Well, that software simply refuses to run on her
hardware, not for any functional
reason but just because it's unsupported due to its age, and I'm not dropping
thousands of dollars so
she can VOLUNTEER her time.  They didn't even consult us on this change, and
now they don't have
her contribution any more.  Too bad, because she was a professional and has a
good eye, and made
by far the best-looking material they've ever had.

One of the tenets of personal computing was that they'd ALWAYS do whatever you
bought them to
do, for so long as that task was what you wanted done.  With the subscription
model this is no longer
true.  An older computer is not just a bit dated and/or slow, and maybe missing
some NEW features
you'd like, it instead is truly useless.  Retrocomputing in a subscription
world?  Not even possible.

I intend to avoid ALL subscription software like the plague that it is.  Just
as I avoid the cloud.

-- Jim