One of the major assets of the cheese graters is the internal drive bays.
(Here I'm disregarding the G5's, and the newest re-issue of the form.)
All of them support 4 SATA drives with ease.  All of them support 6 SATA
drives, with varying amounts of fiddling around.  The oldest ones support
8 internal drives, if two of them are IDE, with even more fiddling around.

That's without even touching the expansion slots.  With those you can do
SATA/eSATA out the wazoo, or add ultra-speed SSD resources.

Internal expandability is where the trash cans fell flat.  If you think of them
as fat Minis (Maxis?) that's a pretty good description.  Not really "pro" at
all,
and why Apple seems to have returned to the form.  I think the newest one
looks even more like an actual cheese grater!

-- Jim