On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:56:13 -0700 Jim Cathey via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> This tower can hold much more RAM and disk than I can use with
> the new-ish laptop I've been using.  And, the 30" monitor is pretty
> nice. When I'm done I should have a 12-core (24-thread) 3.3GHz CPU
> array, 48GB of RAM, 3TB of disk, plus a small SSD for the OS and apps.

Are all those cores (and threads) really helpful?

In keeping an eye on what my four-core processor does with CentOS-5.11,
I don't see even four cores being used.

In looking at the new AMD Ryzen processors, I see 6-, 8-, 10-, and
16-core processors. Unless you have software designed to use all of
them (multi-threaded and multi-tasking), what use are they?

Craig