> Unless you have software designed to use all of [the cores] what use are they?

None whatsoever.  DxO PhotoLab (current name) _is_ one of the things that
will make good use of all available cores.  This program is what prompted my
move to a cheese grater to begin with.  This after processing _one_ batch of
photos on my MBP laptop took pretty much all weekend.  The cheese grater
did it in an hour or two.  Much faster CPU's, faster (and more) RAM, and eight
cores instead of two.  The upcoming 5,1 configuration will have 24 threads,
each 10% faster than today, and a faster RAM bus.  I expect it to really scoot.

Anybody doing photo/audio/video work _is_ using software that will make good
use of multiprocessing.

Build servers also can make good use of this.  Also rendering farms, cloud
service
providers, etc.

-- Jim