On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 16:53:00 -0400 Dan Penoff via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I’m asking because I literally have nothing to lose at this point…
> See it here just after we had a good hard rain:
> http://penoff.com/Photo_Dump.html#1
> <http://penoff.com/Photo_Dump.html#1>
> Anyone else have an idea? At this point I really have nothing to lose
> as the sprinkler zone that’s affected hasn’t worked for years from what
> I can tell.

If it hasn't worked for years, do you really need it to work?

Unless you are going to take the tree out, you will always have problems
with those lines, since the roots will continue to grow and will continue
to distort the pipes and make new breaks.

If you really want it to work, can you rent a trenching machine (as I
have done in the past) and run new lines 15 or 20 feet from the tree to
the area of the affected zone? You would, of course cut and cap the line
from the tree to the affected zone.

Note: 15 or 20 feet from the tree the roots could be 4" in diameter. That
      was the case for our house in Los Alamos where a tree on the south
      side of the driveway had been cut down because its roots had heaved
      the driveway. I rented a backhoe to take out the broken-up driveway
      and dug up the stump and its roots on the north side of the driveway
      at the same time -- see attached pictures.

Craig