> Dan wrote:

> Both lines are  surrounded with tree roots, as they’re barely 6’
> from an oak tree that is probably 24” in diameter. The roots of
> the tree have distorted and stressed the lines,

> I can’t possibly cut the roots, as some are as large as 3”-4”
> surrounding these lines. To do so would risk damaging the rather
> fragile lines not to mention I would have to do some serious
> excavating to get enough space to get my chain saw at them.

Use an ax.  Replace that whole section with Sch 80 pipe.  Put the
pipes in sand, and add zig-zags to allow pipe stretch.  That
should gain you a few years.

> There’s no way I could dig them up and “bypass” the tree, as
> there’s really nowhere to go in close proximity that isn’t
> rootbound.

Close proximity to a tree is NOT what you want if long service is
a goal.

> Anyone else have an idea?

It appears to me that _anything_ you do there would be short term
- 5 year max - as the tree and roots will tear up anything you
do.  Repairing the leak that's there will probably only last until
it is stretched more.  Like this summer.

Get to that zone another way, or kill the tree and put in new
lines - or don't irrigate that zone.

I think the tree will win no matter what you do unless you get at
least 15 - 20 ft away.