Speaking of CPUs, this Mac Pro (4/5,1) that I'm using has developed issues,
post-upgrade.  Basically it crashes randomly, though it worked fine for awhile.
I have reverted the CPUs to what were in it in an effort to better point
fingers.
I have also bought two more, slower/cheaper CPUs that I will de-lid and put
in if it passes this test.

Not sure if the tray was bad, the new CPUs were bad (post-delidding),
or whether the tray just wasn't capable of running at higher CPU speed.
Or, worst of all, that it can't reliably run newer CPUs at all.  If I only put
in
one of the two CPUs it seems just fine, though the fan control logic is pissed
and I have to wear earmuffs.  Both CPUs have passed this particular test,
but both combinations of _two_ new CPUs fails.

Disheartening, given the apparent early success.  I spent about $150 for
those fastest-possible CPUs, but I'm only spending $13 for two more of the
lesser ones.  They are basically one generation newer than what came in
it, but otherwise identical metrics-wise.  It'll be enough to run VMware,
though, which the stock CPUs cannot now do.

Whenever I _needed_ the machine running I have been putting in the upgraded
single-CPU tray that I bought for a song.  The machine is thus already
guaranteed
useful to me, it's just less of a screamer than I wanted, and paid for.  Those
two-CPU trays (and the machines that have them) sell for quite a premium.

-- Jim