I wonder how much "upgrading" is just changing things to make them use more
computing power for the same end.

I have an old MacPro 2.1 (I think), and other than having to jump though hoops
to upgrade past 10.6.8, it does anything I need it to.  Main problem these days
is that no one updates "old" software (anything older than six months, it
seems), so I get web pages that won't work, have to buy new software that does
exactly the same thing the old stuff does but requires "new" OS functions.

Bloatware to the max!

There have been few, if any, speed increases over the last decade (or two, for
that matter) -- silicon based CPUs aren't going to run over 3 GHz without
liquid nitrogen cooling, and more than four or six cores and the coordinating
software eats all the functional gains.

Same deal with cell phones, I upgraded because Verizon is dropping CDMA/1x
service and my phone was that style.  A bit cranky, but a charge lasted a week
of moderate use.  New (used) Samsung has the be charged a couple times a day
and is a royal PITA to use as a phone.  Too small to use as a computer, and the
keyboard was obviously designed for small children, can't seem to ever push
just one key at a time with my XL sized fingers.

I'm becoming an old grump.