This >

> On May 7, 2020, at 6:57 PM, Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> That happens with people who do not train their children properly.

I can’t emphasize this enough. I had NRA handgun training when I was seven or
eight years old. There was only an old revolver in the house at the time, but
that didn’t matter. Every one of us, even my sister, had NRA training as a
child. The safest child around guns is one who has been properly trained to
handle them.

I’m not saying children should have guns or access to them without supervision.
It’s the ones who are untrained that kill or injure people.

We recently had a police officer’s high school aged son put a .45 round through
the back of his friend’s head while he was playing video games at the cop’s
kid’s house. The boy wasn’t trained on how to handle or fire a pistol. He broke
into his father’s bedroom where there was a pistol that was unsecured (his
service pistol *was* secured in a gun safe) dropped the magazine thinking that
unloaded the gun, walked up behind his friend, pointed it at the back of his
head and pulled the trigger.

Yes, there was a round that was chambered.

Anyone who is properly trained on handling firearms would know to check and
empty the chamber even if the magazine was removed. This was 100% preventable
through education. You could argue the father was at fault because he didn’t
secure the pistol, but that argument didn’t fly with the prosecutor because he
had made a good faith effort to secure the pistol by locking his bedroom.

Tell that to the victim’s family.

The cop and his son refused to talk or cooperate. It took almost a month to get
enough information out of the two witnesses to come up with evidence to charge
the cop’s son. The prosecutor was not happy, but the cop lawyered up and shut
up. Shoot, shovel, shut up.

In my opinion, the boy should be punished, no question, but so should the
father. I can’t fathom having firearms in a house and not making every member
of that household participate in training on how to properly handle a firearm.
That is criminal in my opinion.

-D