Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> One more thing to I just remembered. When I was a kid I did not get
> this same sort of training/exposure to guns. I recall one time I
> discovered a revolver in my mothers room when I was probably 10-12
> years old, somewhere in there. Of course never having seen a gun
> except on TV at that point I picked it up and messed with it. It is a
> wonder I didn't end up shooting myself. At some point around that same
> time frame I remember a kid from school was playing with a gun and
> ended up shooting himself. I can't remember if he died or not (I
> don't think he did).

Similar thing -- we didn't have guns in the house, but once at a friends
house we went to his parent's room and he showed me a revolver they
had. He may have had *some* training or we both just had common sense
because we didn't fool with it too much. We played with toy guns all the
time but we were old enough to know it was a "real gun" and we just
looked at it for a minute or so. It was his mother's gun, small,
probably a .22 but a .22 can easily ruin your day. Of course it was
totally unsecured, just sitting in a drawer, no trigger lock or
anything.