Thanks, Jim, for sharing that. It is a good read. I think the gist of it is:

The exact quotation, which is from a letter that Franklin is believed to
have written on behalf of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, reads, "those
who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."

It is a quotation that defends the authority of a legislature to govern in
the interests of collective security. It means, in context, not quite the
opposite of what it's almost always quoted as saying but much closer to the
opposite than to the thing that people think it means.

--
OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!