> maybe the filter is so dirty that not enough is circulating

That's the problem that Barney (E320) exhibited.  Except that
when cold it worked slightly better.  Whine, and no-go-ness.

Never fully resolved, but will get another look soon once my wife
fully steals the other E320 from me and the X5 is gone.  I had
changed fluid and filter one more time, but never took that crucial
longer road test.  (Accompanied by chase vehicle and tow rope.)
It's been pending for a year and a half now...

-- Jim