Are you sure some accessory like the power steering pump or the alternator
isn't making that whine?  Mechanic's stethoscope would help locate the
source of the noise.

I like the idea of the filter change.

Given the cult following, have you been able to find any forums that
discuss solutions to this problem, or is this a novel issue?
Max
Charleston SC