Dillon, Meade LCDR wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm tempted to adjust the idle, but I'd rather
fix it right.

If the saga drags on too much longer, I probably will install a blank
plate in the EGR circuit.  I doubt that is the problem - engine does not
smoke at all and has good power all the way up the tach.

I am a little curious about the power band for this engine.  On my 123
wagon with OM617.912 (normally aspirated) the power definitely came on
at about 2400 RPM.  In this OM601, the torque peak seems to be at about
3000 RPM.  Anyone out there have experience?

The MAX torque is at 2800 rpm in the OM601.921 engine vs 2400 in a 617.912, but the torque curve of both is VERY wide and flat. None of my 601 engined cars (two were '84s and my '85 was a Euro car) had an EGR so I have had NO experience with defeating it. I think that only the California certified '85 190Ds had EGR, but I've never tried to work my way thru which ones did and didn't.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)