Zoltan Finks wrote:
Gotta ask too:

On the rear differential, when checking the fluid, is it a matter of pulling
the plug out and sticking a pinkie finger in there to feel around; and when
filling, is it a matter of filling 'til it begins to run out of the hole?
This is the method on what I grew up on - American Iron - but I am just
making sure it's that simple with the German stuff too.

Same question applies to the manual trannie. Same check/fill procedure?

AND

How often should this oil be changed?

Pull the fill plug (14 mm hex) with the wheels on the ground (not dangling as they will be if you jack the car up) and measure the fluid level. If the wheels are dangling, the fluid level WILL be lower (may be even more than one knuckle lower - not sure about a 123 chassis car - haven't serviced on in several decades) and if you bring the level up to where it runs out and button things up, it WILL be overfilled. That USUALLY not a problem as long as the overflow port is NOT clogged up. If it IS clogged, the oil will push out around the front seal and that's big trouble (easiest solution is a replacement differential).

Changing fluid every 30-60kmi is probably wise.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)