> It's been credibly alleged (I have no direct knowledge) that Indian coders
> working remotely produce horrible code.

At my last job the product our swallowed-up company had produced, and
maintained,
was sent to India.  We 'trained' them on it.  Job retention there was so poor
that we
had to keep 'training' them, and I never saw them actually fix reported
problems.
We fixed several of the worse ones.  Eventually they closed our office, leaving
it
in the oh-so-incapable hands in India.

In the 80's one of our vendors had contracted out some work to India, as a test.
It did not go well.  All that survived was a small emacs-inspired text editor
that had
an "i" in the name, standing for "Indian".  Now that I think of it, the last
surviving copy
of that I had put into the product that was sent back to India.  It's gone full
circle!

-- Jim