Karl, do you have a 'smart' meter?  Those basically allow the power company
to charge you a different rate for electricity used at different times of
the day.  If your state utility / laws / regulations allow it, the power
company can charge you in ways that will be impossible to figure out if
they're fair and legal or not.

Dr. Bill Wattenburg used to have a radio talk show (maybe he still does?)
and he detailed the problems with CA utilities back in the Enron days, I'm
repeating what he talked about.  He also went into a lengthy diatribe of
how the power companies will increase your line voltage above 115 volts,
sometimes as high as 125 volts, so you use more power and they can charge
you more money.  He did a major study when brownouts where plaguing CA 15
years ago or so, and his study indicated that the brownouts could easily
end if the power companies reduced the line voltage so that your house saw
110 volts, with no damage or noticeable difference in how your appliances
etc. operated.  No harm to households, just less power overall used, but
the power companies refused to do that because they made more money with
higher line voltages and the politicians refused to force a change because
they benefit from the crisis, even if it is a manufactured crisis.  Sound
familiar?
Max
Charleston SC