Thanks for these numbers and explanation.  I got one of those finger things
back when COVID started. I notice about 95% resting (watching TV) but 95-97%
if more active.  Seemed counterintuitive but this explains it

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes On Behalf Of Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2020 1:28 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Karl Wittnebel <atypical...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Vax fun

The better sensors have a little waveform graph. It has to have a smooth
sinusoidal pattern to get a good reading.

In hospital, we say everything over 92% is fine. Around 90% and lower, there
is a sigmoidal relationship between the hemoglobin saturation and the
partial pressure of oxygen. This helps the blood cells/hemoglobin rapidly
give up its oxygen when the blood gets to the peripheral capillaries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen%E2%80%93hemoglobin_dissociation_curve

What it means in practice is that you don't want to be 90 or lower. That
would be abnormal for sure. 95-97 not a big deal. Parts of the lung actually
collapse when we are sedentary for example, leading to lower
(95-97) readings, and when we exert ourselves and breathe deeper/harder we
recruit those areas of the lung again. So you could be 97 then climb a
flight of stairs and be 99.