Catalytic converter theft is getting to be a bigger problem around
here. Mostly from trucks and commercial vehicles that are easy to get
under, but some passenger cars also. I don't get it, because AFAIK
salvage yards and repair shops are prohibited from buying or selling
converters that are not part of a complete exhaust system.

A couple of years ago we had the converter cut out and stolen from our
Odyssey. Asked the exhaust shop to just put in a used one, they said
can't do it, it's illegal. Even looked at getting a complete used
exhaust and local yards wouldn't sell one. Ended up having to buy a new
exhaust from NAPA, which cost a lot but still cheaper than Honda OE.

So is all this being traded under the table? Who is buying these stolen
converters and who is installing them?

Allan