They jack it up and wiggle the tire, that'll tell you it needs a tie rod (or
steering rack I suppose) but you'd need to actually look at it to know which
one was bad. Same with ball joints.
-Curt

    On Thursday, January 14, 2021, 5:15:48 PM EST, Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On 14/01/2021 2:16 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
> Took my Dodge pickup for its yearly safety inspection yesterday. The guy
> passed it but mentioned it was going to need a tie rod soon. Since the tires
> are only a couple months old I figured I ought to actually fix the tie rod.
> He said he couldn't tell if it was inner or outer, they're not too expensive
> so I figured I'd just do both, its probably the outer but while I'm there...
> Anyway while I was at it I checked on wiper blades. Last year when I bought
> wipers (Bosch Evolution) at FLAPS they were like $20-$25 apiece. For 3 cars
> that adds up quick but bad wipers are the worst, especially in snow.
>  From Rock Auto they're $6-$8 each. I know where I'll be buying wipers from
>now on....
> -Curt

It strikes me as odd that the fellow who inspected your truck and told
you it needed a tie rod end was unable to tell you which one. That must
be a pretty minimal inspection.

RB