There was some sort of charity outfit in Houston that would get donated cars
and have a live auction once a month at a lot they had in a fairly rough part
of town. I went to a couple just for grins. Some of the cars were total junk,
others not too bad. I remember some kid and his mother were there once and
bought a half-decent 300SD for $800, the kid was ecstatic. It was a reasonable
deal at the time. Another one I remember was a clapped-out Vega 2 ol boys
bought to make a dragster, it went for some fairly big money, like $2k if I
recall but they were happy with the deal.

The auctions lasted a year or two then faded away, no idea what happened to the
organization.

--FT
Sent from iPhone