On 2021-02-27 20:43, Rick Knoble via Mercedes wrote:

In a state you reside in, that may be well and good. Driving a car
1,700 miles with fictitious plates will get the car impounded. A
number of years ago I attempted to drive a 1992 300D home from
Maryland with no plates. The cop said if I had fictitious plates it
would've been a mess. I probably should've checked into a temporary
tag, but I don't think one was available.

My three interstate purchases, I fraudulently placed a current plate belonging to another car on my new purchase. Drove a 300SD home from Florida, a 2.3-16 home from Chicago, and a E320 home from Boston that way.

In Michigan, I have three days from date of purchase to title and register the car. There are two problems with that:

1. Doing it legally (no plate) generates probable cause to believe you are doing it illegally and might cause you to get pulled over and subjected to undue scrutiny.

2. The Secretary of State (DMV) is open by appointment only. If you want an appointment in February to buy that new plate within 3 days of purchase, you better have made that appointment in November (True story: a friend has an appointment for her 16 year old to apply for his license tomorrow. When she made the appointment in November, the first available time slots were in mid February). I suppose there are workarounds, like mailing in your title application and hopefully the cops would be lenient about the 3 day limit and the fact that you don't have your car's papers because you mailed them to the SOS.