We’re appointment only as well, so I don’t think they’re enforcing the 30 day
rule.

Your points are all quite valid - it’s a matter of blending in and not drawing
attention to your car. I’ve done the “use a current plate” thing tons of times
over 30 years and never had an issue. The only time I did was in southern VA
with a 1970 280S I picked up in Roanoke. I drove across to I-95, my FL plate
propped up in the back window as the car didn’t have a plate on it, so I had no
hardware.

I stopped in a McD’s in some little burg on the way, and Barney Fife and
friends decided to accost me in the parking lot because my plate had fallen
down onto the parcel shelf.

I found out later that the route I was on was common route for people moving
drugs up from FL into VA and surrounds.

-D