Agreed, it seems to me that a wiring short in the door hinge accordion
joint is a prime suspect.  Have a short in the left rear window on The
White Whale that tried to strand me with that window down.  Had to have
someone hold the switch in the up position whilst I flexed and wiggled that
bundle of wires to get the window back up, so I could get home to fix it.

However, if a lot of stuff is buggered up by previous "mechanics" then all
bets are off.  One may spend a lot of time finding all the "fixes" done
previously and correcting those in order to get the system back into
factory spec.
Max
Charleston SC