BillR wrote:

>      Many of the advanced degree folks are legal, very many are here on
> quite outdated student visas.  Quite a few are leaving due to frustration at
> trying to become legal.

My best bud from college works for a local biotech firm. They lost a senior
scientist once, one of their department heads, multiple phds, irreplaceable
experience. Feds refused to renew his work permit, had to go back to the
Netherlands. Our loss, their gain.

My take on the illegals: We have them in mass quantity, mainly because
our system has consistently granted preference to illegal over legal
immigration. The illegal gets "amnesty", which usually treats him as
if he had legally entered and started the citizenship process on the
day he can first prove he was illegally here. Meanwhile, his cousin
who was stupid enough to ask for permission is still waiting in Mexico.
There is virtually no legal immigration from Mexico, because the
country specific quota is already exceeded by the illegals.

My solution: Get serious about finding and exporting the illegals.
The video from the May Day protests should give us lots of prime
suspects. For every illegal we kick out, we let in one legal.
My amnesty program is to show no preference or ill will towards
the illegals we kick out, they can apply for legal entry, securing
their place in line with everybody else who applies today, behind
everybody who already applied.

Mitch.