Tan Qu wrote:
Larry,

The gaskets you buy from Rusty (I believe it's Erling
brand) should have heat-sensitive sealant material on
it already. It may not matter but try to tighten the
bolts in small increment in a pattern. I am having a
hard time to seal the surface at the head on my '87
190Dt. Before it was leaking from the #2 bottom. I
redid the gasket when I replaced GP's last year. Now
it's leaking from the top of the #2. I am planning on
loosening all bolts and re-tightening them in a cross
pattern in small increments hoping solve the problem.
Maybe it's just a problem on early 60X's not later
ones as my '91 300D is very dry at the manifold/intake
area.

The newest revised Mercedes supplied intake manifold gasket has a silicone seal bead (not sure that any aftermarket gasket has this) that is there to prevent any oil accumulation at the #2 intake runner (and to a lessor degree #1 and #3) from wicking thru. The use of M-1 rather than ANY group III/II or I oil helps and disabling the EGR and cleaning out the intake manifold of soot/oil sludge seem to help too. It is USUALLY not a matter of tightening the manifold in a specific manor, but doing it evenly. The torque may have been increased from 25 to 30 Nm.

See also the last page (p16) at: http://mb.braingears.com/124_DISC1/Program/Engine/602_603/Prog_Repairs/comb3.pdf

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)