Jim Cathey wrote:
Thanks Tan - Understand all your comments - but the one above - what am I
looking for?  Anything other than leaks?

They very commonly freeze up and stop pumping.

BTW, what does the aux water pump do?  When does it operate?

It circulates coolant through the heater even if the engine is
at idle (where the main pump does poorly at that).  It's on at
all times the ACC system is on.

The aux water pump sends coolant thru the heater core. It's only important when the engine is idling or off. Many 201/124 European models never were equipped with them (including my 190D 2.0) and owners of those cars don't seem upset. It tends to increase in current drain as it ages.

When the current drain approaches 2.5-3 A. (which it will when the bearings dry out and start to bind) the circuitry will shut off the power to the climate control blower motor and the aux H2O pump in 124/126/201 models manufactured AFTER 1986. If the blower quits and you unplug the aux pump, the blower function often returns! Some people have suggested that a 1.5-2A fuse be put into the aux pump 12V feed.

The pump has NO engine cooling responsibility and cars equipped with them can operate (even in cold climates) just fine with it disabled for as long as you wish. I ran one of my cars with the aux pump disconnected for more than two years (and one VERY cold winter) without any complaint.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)