That is how it is here. Used to be you paid excise tax which was based on some
unknown book value. Even a $500 car will cost $160 to register it. Back when I
was buying company cars a new vehicle that cost $15k would be about $600. Have
heard people buying cars then can’t pay the $1200-1400 to register it. Forever
you paid the excise tax but there was no sales tax. A few years ago they
started also charging sales tax on top of the excise tax. It’s amazing you have
to pay sales tax on a used item.

Now let’s talk penalties. After 30 days it used to be .25 per day up to a cap
of $100 for each of the excise tax and the tag. Now it’s $1 a day up to $100
cap on each so a possible $200 total. Since they sales tax went into effect
there is also a $1 per day penalty on that as well with no cap. If it’s been
years and you never registered it, you could be looking and many hundreds in
penalties.

Also, used to be when you sold a car, everything started over with new owner.
If car was off the road for years, new owner transfers it and that’s that. Now,
the new owner has to pay the penalty of the PO let the registration expire.
Same $1 per day up to $100 deal. So might also have to pay another hundred for
that barn find that has not been tagged in years.

Several times it has been cheaper to go the Vermont route rather than paying
all the fees here.

Sent from my iPhone