On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:42:21PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Rich Thomas wrote:
> > The TSA will safeguard the flying public and anyone on the ground below
> > by cutting open your bag/lock if it has a padlock on it.  How many tools
> > survive that experience is questionable.  They like to rummage around in
> > bags that have anything solid in them (i.e., non-clothes items).
>
> A friend who works as a field tech and regularly flies with a checked
> bag of tools tells me that ever since they stopped allowing locks, he
> generally loses one tool per flight.  He says Leatherman tools seem to
> be the favorites of sticky-fingered baggage handlers and TSA inspectors.

If you have a bag of tools that you have to carry, and also a firearm,
you might consider declaring the firearm. This requires TSA to search the
bag manually and be happy with it, then you lock it (nobody wants the liability
of a declared weapon disappearing).

This is about the only way I know around the lock cutting rule. It must
[obviously] be checked baggage, and must be declared to the ticketing agent
per FAA regulations. I am not suggesting everyone carry guns on airplanes,
or suggesting that guns are anything worthwhile or worthless to society...