This is a private seller that plans to simply sign the title over to me. I
checked with the VA DMV's hotline and the helpful person on the phone said
that the temporary transport tag (good for 3 days and a specified start
and end point pair) is good for out-of-state transport as well. This can
be picked up at any DMV service center and requires proof of insurance,
the signed title and payment of the fee.

So eventhough the website says VA residents only, I'm going with that
plan. Thanks to Marshall for pointing out the link on the VA DMV site.

...Kevin
87 300TD 284k mi