So here’s what I have to say about R129 top cylinders:

1.) There are numerous suppliers of “kits” on eBay and elsewhere for seal
replacement. While this allegedly is a simple job, as Floyd mentioned, even the
slightest scratch on the chrome plated cylinder rods can permanently ruin them.
That and there’s no telling how long the seals will last. This should be a once
in a ownership job, ideally, and in my opinion, justifies the complete rebuild
of the cylinders by a competent firm such as Top Hydraulics, who guarantees
their work *and* provides excellent support. Not only that, but some
components, such as the top locks in the top of the windshield frame, are
easily damaged if you attempt to disassemble them, and also require careful
alignment when reassembling for them to work correctly. Top Hydraulics aligns
and adjusts them when they rebuild them, cutting down the time it takes to get
everything working again after reassembly. Sure, it’s easily $800 (or more) for
a complete cylinder rebuild depending on the model, but it cuts to the
potential for future issues down to almost nothing. Not only that, but if you
goof up a cylinder, you’re buying a new one, which will cost you more than what
a rebuild of the complete set costs.

2.) R&R is an unpleasant job, mainly because you have to disassemble the back
section of the interior. Other than that, it’s just a brute force, time
consuming job that requires a lot of arm scratching gyrations to get to
everything. Again, Top Hydraulics provides some really good documentation on
R&R of the cylinders and what to watch out for, as there are some microswitches
on the top frame that are critical to proper operation that are easily damaged
or goofed up when R&R’ing if you’re not careful.

It takes all of a day to remove and another day to install. Again, it’s a lot
of R&R that you can’t shortcut, you just have to take your time and do it
properly. It’s not difficult nor does it require special tools, it just takes
time.

-D