Tough call. You’re the only one with enough insight to determine which is the
better choice. That being said, family owned companies can be a tough place to
work depending on the size and how involved/ingrained the “family” is in the
company itself. It sort of sounds like the family is getting less involved or
is handing over more of the management over to third parties, which is a good
thing in this regard. The more diluted their influence becomes for the
day-to-day operations the less effect it has on things like career paths or
promotions.

Sort of like the plumbing company my oldest son worked for that has 12
employees, including the owners. I used to tell him that it would be unlikely
he would ever progress in the company, unless he married the boss’s daughter.

The travel thing sounds like a wash other than the ability to stay closer to
home and control your itineraries. That definitely has some value, but if
you’re still going to be gone the same amount, does it really matter how far
away you’ll be? Don’t forget to factor in the airline miles/points you can get
out of travel, too, as that has value.

The health insurance thing is a b*tch no matter how you look at it. PPO, HMO or
HSA, you’re ultimately going to end up paying out the same amount, if not in
premiums in deductibles. Do you want to have to rely on a bucket ‘o’ money to
cover your family’s (and your) needs, or do you want to pay it out over time
via payroll deduction? Don’t forget about your annual $2750 FSA deduction, too
- that’s good money, as it’s pre-tax, you’re getting more value out of it that
if you were paying for those expenses with taxable income.

The fact that you’ve burned goodwill may not help when the hard decisions your
current employer may have to or be in the process of making. Loyalty plays out
heavily for most companies, even if you’re not a top producer or the most
favorite person in the office. Keep that under consideration.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

-D