I believe that there is a device that can be attached to the circuit that will
put a high frequency signal on the wire, which then acts as a broadcast
antenna. A separate device acting as a receiver can be used to trace the wire
behind the wall. I don't know exactly what it's called or how expensive it is.
Might be something you just hire an elechicken to do if it's a one-time need.