> The '85 is different - has an over voltage protection relay PN 2015400845.

Interesting that it's a 201 part, in a 126.  My last 107 had a 126 part for
that.
My notes from it, in 2007:

I then pulled the overvoltage protection relay and brought it inside for
a look-see.

(B) 89 71 24
10 M 81
(M) 126 540 47 45
12V
10A
Made in W-Germany

It's cleverly put together: the red fuse cover snaps off, then the red
fuse cover base slides out from under the prongs.  That unlocks the
shell from the body and it slides right off.  Inside, I found the
expected relay, a heat-sinked power Zener diode, and a resistor.  There
were PCB holes for considerably more components, unstuffed.  The board
didn't look bad.  The solder flux was all crusty, but that's irrelevant.
I put it on the bench power supply and found that it 'popped' at
25 V.  The Zener gets warm when it trips.

Anyway, I brushed it off, resoldered the joints, and burnished the pins.
It reassembled easily, and continued to work on the bench.  I put it
back in the car.  I don't expect anything to come of this,

-- Jim