> That being said, my electric bill suggests that they’re not the most
> efficient way to heat compared to natural gas.

It's hard to argue with burning directly, for heat, the same fuel that's being
burned
to generate electricity in your area.  Supposedly heat pumps have something like
a 3x factor, where you get 3x the heat of the (electric) energy you put into
it, but
I've not done the research.  The power grid is reputedly something like 50%
efficient,
so when you stack (multiply) these factors the heat pump doesn't look as shiny.

We burn a lot of wood because we live in a treed area, on acreage, and the
stuff's
always falling down or dying anyway.  Might as well decompose it quickly and get
inside heat out of it rather than let it rot, slowly, releasing the same heat
outside.

Plus it's good exercise, and gets me outside more.

-- Jim