Uh yes, as I was attempting to pontificate...I'm trying to figure out the best way to tap into the cans. They're much wider and squatter than your regular freon can, so my tap won't apparently work. I don't want to buy an
expensive stove, just to canniballize and use for my illicit purposes.

Until I found my expensive stove for cheap at Goodwill, I made a strap
out of a coat hanger that I used, in conjunction with two small vise grips, to clamp the R12 can tap to the side of the can. Then I just let it pierce
the can in the side.  One vise grip clamped one edge of the tap to the
metal lip on the bottom of the can, the other held the band shut clamping the other end of the tap to the can. Worked great, and I never had a leak.

-- Jim