That sounds like the classic small air leak in the fuel system, letting it
drain while sitting. It will run fine as long as it runs every day, and you
will not likely see fuel dripping. Check every inch (centimeter) of the
lines from the fuel tank to the injection pump.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 8:37 AM Dimitri Seretakis via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Thanks Fred. I might take you up on that generous offer. Meanwhile, I’m
> noticing a few more things. First of all, the lever was in the up position
> this morning but the car still would not start although it seems like it’s
> closer to starting. After cranking unsuccessfully, and turning the ignition
> off, I noticed that the lever was back in the down position and when I
> would turn the ignition back on and it would pop up and stay up while
> cranking. Once the ignition was turned off the lever would fall back down.
> I’m not sure what this means.
> I haven’t heard anything from my friends and relatives in Greece!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jul 26, 2023, at 11:06 PM, Frederick Moir via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dimitri, Dwight.
> > FWIW.
> > If the lever is down the rack is in the shutoff position and will not
> > supply fuel at all.
> > The vacuum shut-off device could be stuck, maybe? (I have a spare).
> > The pump side plate, when removed, will let you access the rack.
> > I have an OM602 injection pump with 90k mi. that you may have.
> > Confused yet?
> > Fred
> > p.s. I hope your relatives in Greece are ok and not threatened by the
> > wildfires.
> >
> >> On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 9:52 PM Dwight Giles via Mercedes <
> >> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> wish I could help you Dimitri but it never got a chance to sit as it
> was a
> >> daily driver. worth checking the IP.

> pump
> >> can
> >> else
> >> started
> so
> of
> ground
> it

> > --
> > Fred Moir
> > Lynn MA
> > Diesel preferred

OK Don

"Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
are wearing."

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Werner
Von Braun

"In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be
doing it."
        -- Richard W. Hamming, The Art of Doing Science and Engineering
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!